It is with great excitement that we announce the 2015 meeting of the US League of Tea Growers.
Date: February 19th – 22nd
Time: 8AM-10AM (2/20) & 8AM-9AM (2/21)
Location: Great Mississippi Tea Company (2572 E Lincoln Rd SE, Brookhaven, MS 39601)
Items on the agenda include, but are not limited to: old business, new business, progress of the league, a membership drive, upcoming projects, and formation of a nominating committee for the election of a new executive committee as called for in the bylaws (Art 6 Sec E- Nominating Committee).
- The last order of business is the formation of a nominating committee. The positions to fill this year will be President, Exec VP/Treasurer, Atlantic Coast Rep, Gulf Coast Rep, and Pacific Coast Rep.
- This also means there needs to be immediate action in the membership drive department so that there are voters to vote in the election.
- If you want to serve in any capacity, feel free to throw your hat into the ring. This includes current office holders that wish to retain their positions.
Below is the current schedule of events. All events are subject to change.
February 18, 2015
- 5:00PM – 8:00PM: East Texas Tea Company’s Welcome Reception
February 19, 2015 (All seminars to be held at ETTC, Mount Vernon, TX)
- 8:00AM – 8:45AM: Introduction To Monitoring For Plant Health led by James Orrock, University of Miami
- 8:45AM – 9:30AM: Building A Business Plan For Sustainable Farms And Agribusinesses led by Rene’ McCracken, Northeast Texas Community College
- 9:30AM – 9:45AM: Soil Building – The Foundation Of Farming led by Kenny Rollins, A&M University AgriLIFE Extension
- 9:45AM – 10:15AM: USDA and Department of Conservation Staff On Rural Development Programs
- 10:15AM – 11:15AM: Roundtable – Q & A
- 11:20AM – Lunch: On-site Presentation And Visit Of ETTC Permaculture Tea Block/Garden
February 20, 2015
- 8:00AM – 9:00AM: USLTG Meeting (Brookhaven, MS)
- 9:00AM – 10:00AM: USLTG Meeting & Membership Drive (Brookhaven, MS)
- 10:00AM – 11:00AM: Great Mississippi Tea Company Farm Tour (Brookhaven, MS)
- 11:00AM – 12:00PM: pH Testing and Nursery Discussions led by Nigel Melican, Dr. Bi (MSU), and Judson LeCompte (MSU) (Brookhaven, MS)
- 2:00PM – 4:00PM: Tour of Transcend Nursery, propagation techniques, and presentation of current tea genetic collection led by Buddy Lee (Owner) (Independence, LA)
February 21, 2015
- 8:00AM – 9:30AM: USLTG Meeting (Brookhaven, MS)
- 11:00AM – 12:00PM: MSU Truck Crops Experiment Station Tour – research site of the USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program funded Tea Field Trial (Crystal Springs, MS)
- 2:30PM – 4:00PM: Researcher Roundtable with confirmed representatives from MSU, LSU, Auburn. (Brookhaven, MS)
- 7:30PM – Cowboy Jim’s Farm-To-Table Dinner (Brookhaven, MS)
February 22, 2015
- 10:00AM – 12:00PM: Tour and presentation at J&D Blueberries by Don & Jeff (Poplarville, MS)
- 3:00PM: Closing Remarks (Brookhaven, MS)
**Please note that there is travel between locations and tours. Transportation is not being provided. Please plan accordingly.
The cost per person will be $100.00. This fee gives you access to all USLTG meetings, tours, presentations, and includes the Saturday night dinner at Cowboy Jim’s.
For question, or to register for this event, please send a note to Jason McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 9th, 2015. A PayPal invoice for the meeting fees will be sent to you to reserve your spot.
We look forward to seeing you in February and please pass this information to your fellow tea growers and enthusiasts!