by Naomi Rosen
The inaugural US League of Tea Growers Round-up has come to a close and it was an honor to see such passion within the tea growing community. In case you missed it, we want to give you a rundown (official minutes of the meetings to be posted soon).
Firstly, a huge thank you to David and Josephie Dean Jackson and her crew at the East Texas Tea Company! They were the first stop on this tea train and an excellent kick-off for the round-up. The Welcome Reception on the evening of the 18th featured tea from silver needle to puerh. The wine was flowing, the food was delicious, and the bonfire was a warm wrap-up to the evening.
The real work started the morning of the 19th as the first official meeting was called to order. On the agenda:
- Introduction to Monitoring For Plant Health led by James Orrock, University of Florida
- Building A Business Plan For Sustainable Farms And Agribusinesses led by Rene’ McCracken, Northeast Texas Community College
- Soil Building – The Foundation Of Farming led by Kenny Rollins, A&M University AgriLIFE Extension
- USDA and Department of Conservation Staff On Rural Development Programs
- Visit Of East Texas Tea Company Permaculture Tea Block/Garden
All in all, much was learned in Texas! We headed out the evening of the 19th towards Mississippi and those adventures will be captured in separate posts so stay tuned. If yuo are a visual learner, or just super curious about who everyone is, check out the USLTG’s Facebook page. There are lots of pictures on there for you to peruse!